Vision of the Department
To create awareness among the students about the significance of science in the field of technology and to exemplify excellence and leadership in education.
Mission of the Department
- Our mission is to serve the society through excellence in education.
- To create awareness about the role of Science in the field of technical education.
- To provide quality education using efficient methodologies and system.
- To be dedicated and truthful towards students, parents, society and nation.
- To pursue interdisciplinary research work and to make REVA ITM a unique institution altogether.
Introduction of the Department
The Basic Sciences Department started functioning right from the inception of the Institute in the year 2004. The Department comprises three disciplines namely, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. As an integral part of the institute, the prime focus of department is to provide a conceptual base in Basic Sciences which form a foundation to the Engineering subjects. Apart from this, the department is not only armed to impart knoweldge of the Basic Sciences on which further study and research of students rely, but also blend the future citizens of the nation with ethics and moral that would direct them with the right a sense of direction and a purpose of living. The department takes pride in having experienced faculty with educational and research background from premierinstitutions.
In view of the rapid development of knowledge and the technological changes, the department of Basic Sciences seeks to strengthen the department by integrating it with the engineering departments for a productive knowledge base. The department has been encouraging the conduct of workshops and seminars and conferences to enable the faculty to keep abreast of the knowledge and methodologies in the respective fields of research.
Campus Network & Core Competence
The institute and all Departments are well connected through a campus network with an Internet access at data rate of 4 Mbps. All the Computing Systems in the laboratories are connected to campus network.
The Department's strength lies in following areas of competence.
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymar chemistry
- Physico Organic
- Nano Science & Technology
- Solid State Physics
- Material Science
- Fluid Dynamics
- Graph Theory
- Continuum Mechanics
- Operations Research
- Engineering Mathematics
- Atmospheric science
- Fundamentals of computer science
Dr. Dinesh Bilehal has published a book titled “Advances in Chemistry Research,Volume-16 in Nova Publications, New York, USA in the year 2012.
Department of Basic Science includes around 703 book titles and 2173 book volumes in the main Library. Department has access to online journals.. Digital library facility is available in main library to facilitate information access from Internet & Intranet.
Books and Periodicals play a vital role in subject understanding and gaining more knowledge. Department of Basic Science Library is having around 250 volumes.
Teaching learning process
- Teaching for the entire semester for a subject is planned meticulously and implemented using lesson plan.
- The internal assessment and conduction of Co-curricular and extracurricular activities are planned and scheduled for the semester in advance. This is communicated to faculty and students as 'Calendar of Events' which helps them to plan their studies and other activities properly.
- Teaching aids include black board, OHP, Power point presentation using LCD.
- Regular Tutorial classes are used to discuss and solve numerical problems and assist them to apply knowledge to real-time problems.
- Subject-wise assignments and study guides are given to students to solve and enrich their knowledge.
- Extra classes are conducted in the identified subjects for weak students.
- Faculty undergoes self appraisal in order to improve teaching skills and up grade in subject knowledge.
- Centralized counselling centre is established, through which respective class teachers will monitor the progress of the student.
The faculty in the department are actively involved in research and development.
The areas of research are as follows:
- Luminescence properties of silicate nanophosphors materials doped with rare earth and transition metals Fluid dynamics
- Fluid mechanics
- Graph Theory.
- Operation Research
- Differential Geometry/Finsler Geometry
- Bio diesel
- Semiconductor thin films
- Nano Science and Technology
- Food Analytical Methods.
The department is involved in various research activities. The faculties are continuously publishing papers in national and internationally renowned journals, presenting papers in various conferences. The department is actively pursuing interdisciplinary research work in different field areas such as material science, luminescence of nano materials, synthesis and characterization of different nano structures, semiconductor thin films, physical and analytical chemistry, biodiesel, applied mathematics, graph theory, fluid dynamics, operations research etc.
The department has conducted research review meeting on “Nanomaterials” on 6th January 2013 in collaboration with C.N.R. RAO CENTER OF NANO RESEARCH, Tumkur University.Tumkur, TEQIP LAB, MSRIT, Bangalore. The review meeting is organized by Dr. Ramachandra, HOD, Basic Science and coordinated by Mr. M. Madesh Kumar, Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics. RRM is chaired by eminent scientists and researchers from various institutes